Two Famous course architects designed PCC

Pawtucket Golf Club was originally a nine hole course layed out on 50 acres of land east of the Ten Mile River and alongside Armistice Boulevard and Brook Street. The land was leased from Herbert Sidney Daggett, a member of the 8th generation of the original Daggett family settlement. The first tournament was held on Labor Day, September 1, 1902. In 1917, the Club purchased all of the farm land from the Daggett family for $15,000 which was about 90 acres total.
The course was expanded to 12 holes shortly after the land was purchased. A small clubhouse was erected where the 10th tee now resides. Then in 1923, then PCC President Frank Bishop and his board of directors decided to hire one of the most celebrated of the early golf architects, Willie Park Jr.
Willie Park in his younger days won 2 British Opens, was a club maker and ball maker. Pawtucket Country Club stepped into the front ranks of Championship courses when they hired Park.

Park’s well-known United States courses include the Maidstone Golf Club on Long Island, Woodway Country Club in Darien, Connecticut, the New Haven Country Club in Hamden, Connecticut, the North Course of the Olympia Fields Country Club near Chicago (host of two U.S. Open (golf) events (1928 and 2003), as well as the 1961 PGA Championship), and The Milton Hoosic Club in Canton, Massachusetts.

A. W. Tillinghast, famous for such designs as Winged Foot, Baltusrol, and Bethpage Black was hired in 1936 to perform reconstruction of the third green, a new fifth teeing area and rearranged the eight hole showing a rearranged green and properly bunkered and contoured for a 535 yard par 5 and also tile drainage for the fairway.

1. Information was copied from “A Centennial History of Pawtucket Country Club” 1902 – 2002 written and compiled by Gary R. Grund

Comments are closed.